Friday, January 9, 2009

Our Trip to Sedona - Little History Lesson

As I said in an earlier post I would show you some finds in Sedona. The first pictures are of Robbers Roost. This is a cave dwelling on the side of a cliff. The history books show this as an ancient dwelling for the Sinagua Indians. Later in the 1800's it was used for a hide out for outlaws.

The trick to this place is to scale along the cliff to get to it. Easy you say (so does Jon) but not so easy. In fact I chickened out and had to slide down a 10'+ sloped wall that at least had a landing at the end, so if I fell I would not die. See the arrow, that is the easy portion of the cliff - I did that one. The harder part that I chickened out on was around the corner.

There is a natural window in the dwelling. The picture on the Left is looking out the window. The view is just stunning. If I were living way back when, I would of told my hubby I wanted that cave with the view. LOL



This was one of our favorite finds. The picture on the Right has a hunter standing on a rock and pointing his bow down toward the deer and shooting at it. At least that is our interpretation.

The picture on the Left is the Cliffs where we found the Petroglyphs. Beautiful Sky.



Here are some other Petroglyphs we found in the vicinity of Sedona. They are said to be over 800-1000 years old. Still in tact and still amazing. It is an awesome feeling to find drawings left by people that dwelled here so long ago.






Below are photos of Palatki Ruins near Sedona. They were once 2 and 3 story homes against the cliffs.

Pictographs - paintings on rocks by the Sinagua Indians. This is man raising hands to the moon or sun and a hunting scene. Ruins in the foreground.



And, then there is me. I have to put my wedding spin on everything. There was this gorgeous moss growing on the rock and I put our wedding rings on it. I just love how it turned out. Looks like a magazine. LOL.



Hope you enjoyed our little history lesson. That's our hobby and wanted to share it with you.


No comments: